In our home, we love mushrooms and garlic…including my son who could identify and demand mushrooms since the grand old age of 1. This recipe is a simple stir fry which I often make. This is the recipe which got selected as the “best recipe of the week ” in BigBasket mushroom recipe contest. Off to the recipe now ( I do not have step by step pics but only the final clicks of the finished product):
- 400 gm Button Mushrooms
- 6 to 10 Garlic Cloves (depending on how garlicky you would like it)
- 1.5 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Milk
- 0.5 teaspoon Jeera Powder
- 2 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- Chives – to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Clean the mushrooms well with a wet cloth and slice lengthwise.
- Peel and grate the garlic cloves with a cheese grater.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat olive oil and toss in the mushrooms. Mix well.
- Add salt and stir on a low flame. The mushrooms will release a lot of water, let them cook covered in this water for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Increase the flame to medium and let cook, stirring occasionally.
- When the water has dried up, add grated garlic and cumin.
- Increase the flame to high and keep stirring till the mushrooms start getting browned at edges and raw smell of garlic goes away. You can also see oil oozing out at this stage.
- Add chilli flakes and let it cook for 30 seconds. Add the milk, reduce flame to medium and let cook till the milk dries up completely.
- Garnish with finely chopped chives.
Enjoy as a sandwich/omlette filling or with rotis/ daal-chawal.